Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed peppers are a delicious meal, especially for an eat-in date night with your partner. They are also perfect for dinner parties, and you can use all of the different colored bell peppers for a multicolored dish. The peppers are stuffed with a ground beef mixture and are then topped with breadcrumbs and cheese.
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Ingredients
Makes 2 servings
- 4 tbsp fresh Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
- 4 large Yellow Peppers
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 200g can chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh Sage, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp chopped fresh Rosemary, or ½ tsp dried
- 1 1/3 cup Vegetable Stock, hot
- 3 tbsp mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2 Fennel Bulbs, cut into 5mm slices lengthways
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Directions
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Pour the breadcrumbs on a plate and leave them to dry while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and scoop out the seeds and membranes. Blanch the peppers and their tops in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and take the peppers out of the water, and let them drain, cut-side down, on paper towel.
- In a large frying pan over a medium heat, heat the oil and add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Turn up the heat then add the beef and garlic and fry, stirring and breaking up the meat, until browned and crumbly. Add the tomatoes, herbs and 3 tbsp of the stock. Cook for 1 minute, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs. Season to taste with the sage and rosemary.
- Stand the peppers upright in a lightly oiled, large oven dish or roasting pan, spoon in the beef mixture and press it down gently. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and top the peppers with the cut pepper tops. Scatter the sliced fennel in a single layer around the peppers and pour the rest of the stock into the roasting pan around the peppers.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until the peppers and fennel are tender, basting halfway through cooking with the stock in the dish. Serve hot or warm.