Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Shepherd’s Pie
This is not a traditional Shepherd’s Pie recipe, as it uses ground beef instead of lamb. It is easy to make, although it takes about an hour to complete. It is worth it, though if you’re looking for a tasty, hearty dish.
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Ingredients
Makes 6 servings
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder or 1 Clove, chopped finely
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Herbs (Mint and Thyme)
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Tomato Puree
- 1 cup Gravy (Beef Broth and Flour)
- ½ cup Carrots, sliced
- ½ cup Mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup Grated Cheese
- 4 lbs Potatoes
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Directions
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Fill a large pot with water and let it come to a boil. Peel and cut the potatoes and put them into the boiling water, reducing the heat to medium. Let cook until a fork can easily be inserted into the potatoes.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil, and add the onion and cook until the onion turns transparent. Add the ground beef and break it up using a spatula and cover the pan to allow the meat to sweat for 2 minutes. Uncover, stir and replace the lid on the pan to repeat the process.
- Make the gravy in a small pan by adding a tablespoon (or more, if needed) to the beef broth until thickened like gravy.
- Once the ground beef has cooked, remove the pan from the heat and pour the fat out. Add to the meat the herbs, salt and pepper and mix together. Return the pan to the stove on low heat and add the tomatoes, the puree and mix well. Next, mix in the carrots, mushrooms and gravy. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them, adding butter and milk. Add ¼ cup of cheese to the potatoes and mix; set aside for 5 minutes.
- Into a glass baking dish, spread the meat onto the dish. Add the potatoes on top and use a fork to make even lines in the potatoes. Add the remaining ¼ cup of cheese to the top of the meal.
- Place the shepherd’s pie on a middle rack in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese turns golden.
See this easy recipes with ground beef site for more ideas.