Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Spicy Beef Samosas
Indian samosas may look hard to make, with so many spices and are deep-fried to finish them off. This recipe has simplified the samosa recipe by using phyllo pastry, and baking them in the oven. They are perfect for dipping in a chutney or yogurt-based sauce as finger food or an appetizer to set off your take of an Indian dinner.
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Ingredients
Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- ½ tsp ground Cumin
- 198g can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Frozen Peas, thawed
- 20g fresh Coriander, coarsely chopped
- 6 sheets Phyllo Pastry
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Directions
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown the ground beef for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until evenly browned. Add the onion, curry powder and cumin, stirring and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are softened. Stir in the chickpeas, peas and coriander; heat through and season to taste.
- Cut the phyllo pastry lengthways into 12 strips, each measuring about 12 x 36cm. Make a neat pile of the strips, and loosely cover with plastic wrap so that they don’t dry out.
- Taking one strip of pastry at a time, lay it out lengthways and brush it lightly with oil. Place about 1 heaping tbsp of the beef at the end closest to you. Lift up the bottom left-hand corner of the strip and fold it diagonally over the filling. Continue folding diagonally to the end of the strip, ending with a triangular shape.
- Place the samosa on a baking sheet, brush lightly with a little oil and sprinkle with a few mustard seeds. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling to make 12 samosas.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden and crisp on top. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack.
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Tips
For a vegetarian option, use 1 ¾ cups of drained and rinsed can of chickpeas with 1 cup of mixed peas or diced vegetables.
If the phyllo pastry sheets are very thin, double them up with a light layer of oil between, so that the pastry is strong enough to hold the filling.
View more easy recipes with ground beef samosas here.
No related posts.