Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Cannelloni
Baked cannelloni are a perfect way to warm up on a cold evening. They are round shells that are stuffed with seasoned ground beef and are covered in cheese and tomato sauce. This recipe use fresh pasta sheets, but you can use cannelloni shells instead.
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Ingredients
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1 stalk Celery, minced
- 1 Carrot, minced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- ½ cup White Wine
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 tsp chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tsp dried Italian Herbs
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp White Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated Nutmeg
- Chopped fresh Parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1L Tomato Puree
- ½ cup Double Cream
- 500g fresh Pasta Sheets
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Directions
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the onion, celery and carrot and cook over moderate heat until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally until the meat is fully cooked. Add the wine and reduce for 1 minute. Stir in the beef stock. Add herbs, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and let simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and reduce liquid until almost dry. Discard bay leaf. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- While the meat is simmering, melt the butter in a separate saucepot over low heat. Whisk in the flour for approximately 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, grated nutmeg and salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and 50g of the Parmesan cheese.
- Pour the cooled meat to a large bowl. Mix in egg yolks and the above sauce. Set aside.
- Combine together in a bowl, the tomato puree and double cream, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC and make sure to set up the top rack. Grease a baking dish.
- Cut the pasta sheets into 13cm lengths. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta sheets a few at a time until al dente. Transfer the sheets to a bowl of cold water. Spread the sheets in one layer to drain.
- Spoon 4 tablespoons of the filling down the centre of one sheet, and roll the sheet to enclose the filling. Transfer the cannelloni, seam side down, the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining pasta sheets and filling, arranging in single layer. Pour the tomato and cream mixture over the cannelloni and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes, or until bubbling and the cheese is golden brown.