Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Beef and Potato Pie
Baked cannelloni are a perfect way to warm up on a cold evening. They are round shells that are stuffed with seasoned ground beef and are covered in cheese and tomato sauce. This recipe use fresh pasta sheets, but you can use cannelloni shells instead.
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Ingredients
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 1/4 lbs Ground Beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs Thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 5 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1L Chicken Stock
- 2 1/4 lbs Red Skin Potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 Egg Yolks
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Directions
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and add the ground beef, salt and pepper and cook completely. Drain excess fat.
- In an additional large frying pan, cook the onions, garlic and thyme until soft and golden. Add the ground beef and tomato purée, and sprinkle in the flour. Constantly stir to cook the flour, then add the red wine and Worcestershire sauce and continue to cook until the liquid has reduced by half. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. By this time the mixture should be thick and glossy.
- While the mixture is simmering, cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until soft and tender. Mash them, then beat in the yolks.
- Remove the ground beef from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the beef mixture into a large baking dish and put the mashed potatoes over the top. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
Easy Recipes with Ground Beef – Tips
This is an easy make-ahead pie. Just make the beef and potatoes and press into the baking dish and freeze before baking. Remove the pie from the freezer and straight into the oven to bake.
Check out this site for more easy recipes with ground beef.